Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Roger Zelazny: The Dead Man's Brother


Another instant classic from Hard Case Crime for 2009. This is a true "lost novel" written in the early 70's by Sci-fi/Fantasy author Roger Zelazny. Needless to say, being on the hard-case label, there is little Sci-Fi or Fantasy to be found within these pages. True there is a little hint that the lead character may be the genetic equivalent of the character Bruce Willis potrayed in the movie Unbreakable, but I think that is about as close to sci-fi as this gets. Other than that, the great characters that keep you guessing, diplomacy, and interaction that is key to all great Zelazny novels is found here as well. I believe this novel succeeds as both a novel that longtime Zelazny fans, as well as a novel that fans that read the hard-boiled fiction of Hard Case will both apreciate. I know I count myself in both cateogories and found plenty to like here. This is also one of my favorite covers amongst the many greats to be found in this line and I will say that if nothing else, it captures the intensity of the books final moments, and like many other aspect of this book, (including the title,) will keep you guessing until the end.

For another opinion, check out this review courtesy of Bill Crider's Pop Culture Magazine:

The Dead Man's Brother -- Roger Zelazny

2 comments:

mybillcrider said...

I've linked this on my review so people who read mine can get a more positive take.

JZID said...

Thanks - I've returned the favor as well. Although I'm guessing I'll get far more hits from your link than vice versa! I've been reading your blog for awhile- and it's one of my favorites. I haven't read any of your books yet, but am planning to change that soon.